Thursday, March 25, 2010

Thursday's Thirst Quencher - Jónsi

In the course of trying to get back to regular blogging, a mission somewhat impossible in faithful submission, I've noticed that I tend to lean towards music when I'm coming up with Thursday's quencher and Saturday's saucy. Actually, I tend to lean towards music period, and in some ways always have. It's how I escape. As I type this, I'm listening to my iPod, rather than Snoring Sam in bed next to me. Case and point. hee.hee. Seriously, whether it's old showtunes, 80's fluff, heavy metal, nawlins' jazz, or just plain, old top-of-the-charts stuff, music lets me just be. It's my happy place, my sad place, my pondering place. I love it.

A friend recently turned me on to an Icelandic band called Sigur Rós.


They have been a part of the international music scene for more than a decade, but are totally new to me. It took about ten times listening to this song, being intrigued more than anything by the strange sounds and the lead singer's falsetto voice, and I was hooked. You may have seen this video on one of my posted playlists or the music player here. The embed function for the video is disabled on YouTube, but here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EyI4p0yjDQ

It's such a beautiful song. Of course, it's sung in Icelandic, so having a translation for the song makes me love it more. That said, I would enjoy it even if I didn't know what the lyrics were about. The band announced in January that they will be on hiatus indefinitely, while the members of the band pursue solo careers and spend time with their families.

Which brings us to
Jón Þór (Jónsi) Birgisson, the band's vocalist and guitarist. Jonsi's first solo album will be released on April 6th. I just happened to stumble upon his session as the guest DJ on NPR's All Songs Considered today, where he shares a playlist that contributed to his own style, which is incredibly unique. http://www.npr.org/templates/player/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=125304475&m=125302629. Very cool to hear him interviewed.

This is the first single from the new album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6HjT4SQKJI. FANTASTIC!!! Check it out. You have to watch it in fullscreen mode to get the effect of the video. He is such a talented artist, including his presentation. The visual enhances the experience so much. Enjoy!

No comments: