Friday, March 19, 2010

Friday's Franchise - Sorry kids, it's gotta be....little league baseball Shout it out, Baby!!! Liam's baseball pants. They look like this after every practice and every game :)

I know this isn't up there on the top ten list of trending Yahoo topics, but have seen lots of posts from friends in the last couple of weeks on Facebook about how Florida baseball is killing their weekends, so I thought I would chime in with my two cents. Okay, it's more likely to be twenty-two cents by the time I'm done.

Will begin by saying that, so I'm told, baseball in the southern states is a bit more insane than it is up north. I've never experienced the alternative, but will assume that this is the case. Our Cubs franchise, part of the Lutz Little League lunacy, is going like gangbusters. They beat the undefeated Reds today, and are now 6-2. Good stuff. Liam is enjoying it. Me....well, loving it would be an exaggeration. I am happy to keep the meter running in my taxi. I am happy to sit through the practices and games and cheer them on. Still, I can't help but feel the stress that has become "recreational" sports in the US. What happened to kids just going out and having fun? I have been listening to the other moms in the bleachers talking about whether or not a hit will be counted as a base hit or an error, and how that will affect their kids' standing in the stats and their batting average. What in the world? They are ELEVEN!!! This is not a traveling competitive team, it's your basic little league set-up.

I get it, parents living vicariously through their little baseball players, but it seems like people are taking it to the extreme. Again, not a new concept, and maybe it's just part of the reverse culture shock that I'm still feeling on a regular basis after being back on US soil for almost two years. I am my kids' biggest supporter. It's actually my job and for the most part I love it. But there's a big difference for me between finding extracurricular activities that will keep them out of trouble and give them a regular dose of fitness and what I'm currently experiencing.

In Florida, 'Fall Ball' is the instructional season, not quite as intense, and meant to develop the players for the Spring season. To be fair, I was warned about 'Spring Ball', but Liam wanted desperately to play. If I may say so (and yes, I may), he's a damn good ball player, considering that this is his second season, EVER. I want him to have fun, I just don't agree with how stressful it is for these little guys. I can see it in their faces, I can feel the tension in the air between father and son when son strikes out or misses a catch. Why does it have to be like that?

I've noticed in the last several weeks that Liam is 'acting out' a bit, and can't help but think that it's because of what's happening on the field. He is the new kid on the block, and therefore sits the bench most of the game. He's lucky if he gets two innings in the outfield. I'm not asking that he start at first base, but wouldn't it make sense to give those three not-so-great players a bit more playing time and thereby give them a chance to improve and contribute. I know, I sound like the typical 'soccer mom'..."My kid needs more playing time...wahhhh". That is not my intention. I had a long talk with the coach yesterday to try and understand what's going on. He's a fantastic guy, and not the one driving the stress these guys are feeling. It's very simply the parents.

Most of the kids on the team actually have a batting coach, to the tune of $25-30 an hour, outside of normal practices. I asked the coach if I should consider this for Liam and in an indirect way (i.e. highly suggestive), he said this would be a great idea. I just shelled out $400 for baseball camp (plus food/lodging) over his Spring Break, and now I need to come up with another $300 for a batting coach through the season. ARE YOU FRIGGING kidding me??? Can't help but think that it's one more instance of Americans taking it too far. If we were talking about a traveling team, or even a high school team, I might have a different opinion. Instead, I am disillusioned with what should be an opportunity for these guys to get out there and have a blast. Isn't that the point? What could be more American? Apple pie, maybe?

No comments: