Monday, January 31, 2011

It's been a week again. Where the hell do my days go? Beautiful day today. This warm, sunny, afternoon is definitely one of my five "I'm grateful for..." items today. I'm still trying to write in my gratitude journal regularly, although I'm just not, nor will I ever be, that every day girl. What else am I grateful for today? My crock pot (and the meatloaf cooking in it). My funny little dogs, who never leave my side when I'm home. Diet Pepsi, my worst habit at the moment -- pert near two liters a day. Baseball hats -- every day is a bad hair day when you have a mop like mine :)

Fun quote in my Simple Abundance blurb today:
"Year by year the complexities of this spinning world grow more bewildering and so each year we need all the more to seek peace and comfort in the joyful simplicities"
-- Woman's Home Companion, December 1935

Boy...if they thought the world was complex and bewildering back then, imagine what they would think now. Just pondering the things I had to do this morning to knock a few things off my to-do list and thinking that my grandmother, certainly my great-grandmother, would have found to be off the charts in the sense of annoying and unnecessarily time-consuming. I suppose they would have had other equivalents in the hum-drum parts of their days, but for me, I so very often find myself wrapped up in things for hours on end that really do nothing to benefit anyone. Most of these are technology related, and while I may try to avoid it, it's no use.

Anyway, I shall focus this week on trying to find peace and comfort in the joyful simplicities of my day. For instance, blogging. Doesn't require that I go anywhere, spend money, or deal with other people -- it just makes me happy to sit here typing away. Twenty minutes a day is all I really need. Coffee tomorrow with my girlfriend -- that's simple and always joyful. Listening to the boys in the back of the car when I pick them up from school, yammering on about the very dramatic events of the day. Listening to the radio and finding a song or two that I want to download. For now, I'm gonna find peace and comfort in an overdue hot shower :)

No comments: