Thursday, January 06, 2011

My New Modus Operandi...Simple Abundance
Simple abundance: a daybook of comfort and joy [Book]
I started to talk about this yesterday, this treasure of a book that has been floating around the house for years and never been opened. I have decided that I'm going to use it on my journey to finding peace and contentment in my already amazing, albeit slightly chaotic, life. I'm jumping in a few days late, as it's meant to be cracked open on Jan.1, but I kinda like the idea of new beginnings having a slight delay in program -- just seems more like real life.

My posts have always been about entertaining someone, adding an ounce of comedic value to someone's day and making them laugh a little. Guessing that won't stop here, although the direction I'm taking will be more for the chicas than the chicos. Sorry guys. Not really anyone checking in at the moment anyway, so it's really is all about ME. I was thinking that I would read the passage every day and do the old-school journaling thing, pen to paper, but I'd rather blog. Who knows, my ramblings may even inspire someone along the way.

The book...will just give you a passage from the back cover that pretty much sums it up:
"Simple Abundance...Embrace its gentle lessons, savor its sublime common sense, dare to live its passionate truth, and share its extraordinary and exhilarating gift with every woman you encounter: the authentic self is the Soul made visible."

Cool, huh? I love that the word Soul is capitalized, the way that God is/should be capitalized. In my mind, that is to say that Soul = God. Undeniable, in the way that I see the world. I have bounced back and forth over the last several years on the topic of 'is there a God'. I have decided that there most definitely is. What that means from the standpoint of my thoughts on organized religion is a whole different can of worms, and I'm probably going to steer clear of those discussions. In summary, I like very much the idea of embracing the spiritual, loving, and being thankful. All of those things require a love of God, as it were, and I'm absolutely down with that. It's not my place to stand on a soapbox, and God knows (hee.hee.) that I'm not going to come forth with any revelation that's not already been put out there, but part of the process here is therapy through thought. Meditation via blogging, if you will.

So...what do I like so much about this book? Initially, I was leery, assuming it would lead down a traditional Christian path, eliminating all other ideas about religion when discussing the spiritual. I'm not opposed to that, as I grew up in a Christian family and for the most part, that's where my set of beliefs and my faith reside. That said, after lots of reading and pondering. I have a lot of different thoughts and ideas about God and the Universe that are most definitely outside the lines when compared to what I grew up believing. I think it's called spiritual growth, and I dig it.

Yesterday, I mentioned that I was contemplating the ginormous stack of fix-yourself books on my nightstand. I wake up every morning, and it's the first thing I see. The daunting task(s) that lay before me. How am I going to improve my marriage? What's the best way to increase/improve my emotional intelligence? How should I go about keeping the sparks flying in the bedroom after oh-so-many years? How can I talk so teenagers will listen? And the list goes on...and on...and on... I picked up that cumbersome stack this morning, chucked it in my over-sized Barnes and Noble shopping bag, and took it on a field trip to my therapist's office. Jeff, who outside of my hubby is the only other sounding board I'm using for the time being, was in complete agreement. It's time to put that stack on a shelf for awhile. I'm going to pick one of those books, and put it UNDER my new friend, Simple Abundance, and on TOP OF my frivolous fiction of the day. Three books on the nightstand, stacked in order of importance. Now, that's a bit more manageable.

So here we go, on a journey to discover Simple Abundance. C'mon along...




No comments: