Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Hey out there in Blogland...Happy Hump Day. I've had an uneventful one, mostly self-imposed do-nothingness. Met up with a few friends this afternoon and tried to talk through my current slump. I have plenty of positive thoughts, lots on the to-do list, much to be doing, just no get-up-and-go. Laid in bed until pert near noon today, also obsessing about why my mojo took a vacay and forgot to mention when it was coming back. Tomorrow's gonna be a new day...I say that every day, but this time I'm serious. Gonna pick at least three things on that bloody list and just...well...do them. Biggest item on that list, the one with lots of stars next to it, is to get my big booty back to the gym. Saving that one for Monday. Why do I always make fitness and diet a Monday thing? In actuality, I'm guessing that sets me up more often than not for failure, because if Monday doesn't work out, I'll just put it off until the following week. Grrr....

Someone also said yesterday that this batch of blah-diddy-blah days most likely has something to do with the weather. I LIVE IN FLORIDA, for God's sake. Even with the mild cold spells we've had so far this year, you can't get any more sunny than this. Nope. I just think it's all in my head, and that I'm focusing way too much on this new hobby of mine called focus on the happy. It must be possible that too much focus on being happy could make one unhappy, no? Geez, I sound like a deranged guest sitting on Dr. Phil's sofa. Nevermind. I'm staying right where I'm at, in hot pursuit of Simple Abundance.

The daily passages for the past few days have been relatively unrelated to my life, but there was one last week, on Jan.6th, that really made me think...
..."Standing Knee-Deep in a River and Dying of Thirst". It's actually the title of some cheesy country song, with which I will not torture you, but the general jist of the song/the passage is pretty good food for thought. Basically, it's the idea that we rush through our days from one place to another without appreciating all the things, and more importantly the people that can help us to find and/or experience happiness. They are standing right in front of us and we just keep on rushing by. It's a 'can't see the forest for the trees' kinda thing...stuck in the details, totally obblivious to the big picture.

Relating it to my own life, I'm reminded of just how much time I spend focusing on each individual tree -- today, so far, it's been Riley's yet-to-be-honed writing skills, and Keira's un-patched Daisy Scout uniform, and the dinner that I haven't made, and my unfinished to-do list, and ... When I stand back and look at where my brain goes, it almost never, if ever, goes naturally to the places of abundance in my life. Rather, I spin my wheels all day long, thinking about the places that are lacking and/or unfinished. Why is that? Why can't I just open my eyes in the morning and be thankful for all those fabulous things I take for granted that are readily available and abundant? A hot cup of coffee. A kiss goodbye from my monkeys in the morning. A day with which to accomplish things. I guess it just means re-training my brain, which otherwise goes automatically to all the unfinished business. Sounds like a daunting task.

I'm trying to focus on the positive, but not necessarily the simple things. Maybe therein lies the secret. For the next three days, I'm going to find three simple things that are present in my every day life and be specifically thankful for them by writing them down. Meanwhile, I'm going to find a way to knock at least three things off my ever-growing to do list every day. If I only get to two, so be it.

No comments: