Thursday, September 26, 2013

Good Morning!  I laid in bed half the night, wide awake, thinking about things I need to blog about :)  I know, I really should get a job or something, maybe volunteer in the community, get out of the house more...

My guest this morning will be a bit controversial.  After I told you yesterday that I steer clear of news/politics, I'm making a beeline right for it. Haha.  Anyhoo, the man of the hour is none other than Richard Dawkins, renowned author and scientist (technically he's an evolutionary biologist).  In case you aren't familiar, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Dawkins.  I'm a big fan.  I'm actually reading his book, The God Delusion, on my Kindle right now.  I will qualify that by saying that I'm reading a few pages at a time.  It's HEAVY reading, certainly for me.

Mr. Dawkins is actually here in the US on a book tour right now, lecturing and promoting his new book, An Appetite for Wonder, which not coincidentally was reviewed by NPR yesterday:  http://www.npr.org/2013/09/25/223174504/richard-dawkins-opens-up-in-appetite-for-wonder.



In this, his TWELFTH book, he opens up for the first time about his own life.  It will definitely be my next non-fiction read.  The NPR reviewer refers to Dawkins as 'the most controversial atheist on the planet'.  In my opinion, that means that he's done a very good job of making people sit up and take notice of his thoughts and ideas, which also makes him a successful atheist, if there is such a thing.

He appeared Tuesday night on The Daily Show With Jon Stewart, yes to promote his book, but also to discuss the topic of whether the eventual doom of our civilization will be the result of science or religion.  He then goes on to discuss science vs. religion in general and why the two are incompatible.  This is the first part of a three-part interview (the rest of the interview is posted at:  http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-september-24-2013/exclusive---richard-dawkins-extended-interview-pt--2).  Great stuff.  Watch all three parts.




Did I mention?  LOVE Richard Dawkins.  Another product of his AMAZING BRAIN is a series, originally airing in the UK, called Sex, Death, and the Meaning of Life.  The three part series tackles all kinds of questions...How can we be moral without religion? How can we find comfort in the prospect of death without religion?  What happens if we leave religion behind?  How can an Atheist find meaning in life?

This is the first part of the series...Great stuff :)  Watch all three!!!



One more video, okay maybe two, and I'll stop.  As two of my favorite people's worlds collide, we find Richard Dawkins interviewing none other than my other true love, Ricky Gervais.  FANTASTIC!




Last one!



Lots to ponder, that's for sure.  Will close for now, with the thought that atheism makes as much sense to me as anything else, so I'm putting my eggs in that basket :)


PS.
Unrelatedly, a follow-up to my comments on Miley Cyrus and her new video yesterday.  I found this article to be absolutely hysterical...http://jezebel.com/an-encyclopedia-of-diseases-miley-cyrus-can-catch-by-li-1379909484.

No comments: