Monday, April 05, 2010

Monday's Mayhem - Opening Day, Baby!!!

I know, this clip is all over the net today, so chances are if you're in the US you've seen it, but it is just so priceless, had to post it here.



I'm not a Redsox fan. I'm not a Yankees fan. Guess I should be a Rays fan. I'm probably an Indians fan. Fact is, I just haven't really figured it out yet. Whatever the allegiance, I am both a baseball and an Opening Day fan. I've only been fortunate enough to experience Opening Day on the field once, and it was a Cincinnati Reds game (circa 1994). What a day. So much fun - the parade, the beer, the game, the beer... This year, Mr. Johnny Bench was the Grand Marshall for Cinci's Opening Day parade. Lookin' good Johnny...



Opening Day in Cincinnati is the real deal. It's home to the oldest baseball franchise in the league, and their official kick-off of the new season is steeped in tradition. It's an unofficial holiday there, with lots of folks playing hooky from school or work to catch the action.

For millions of fans, Opening Day means a clean slate for their teams, with everyone starting anew. For me, it's kinda like Spring cleaning (which, by the way, I don't do). New season, new start, new leaves on the trees...the whole thing lending itself to new chances. Not just for baseball, but for everything. It feels more like a new start somehow than New Year's Day. Not sure why, and I certainly don't tune in to watch baseball all day long, I just like the fact that it exists. My Tribe didn't fair so well yesterday, losing 6-0 against the Whitesox, but it was still a beautiful Monday out there in baseball land. My Rays didn't play yesterday, but are losing 3-2 to the Orioles in the bottom of the seventh. The beauty of baseball - 162 games in the season, it's anyone's ballgame. Okay, maybe not anyone, and probably not the Reds, but it's a long road to the World Series.

Liam is headed to the
Bucky Dent Baseball School on Saturday for a week in Del Ray Beach, and he's pretty excited about it. You've heard me ramble on about it before, but he's definitely struggling in his second season, matched up with kids that have been playing baseball since they could walk. Still, he gets out there and does what he can to contribute. He may not be headed for Major League Baseball, but he's sure gonna give it a swing or two.

No comments: