Thursday, October 17, 2013

Throwback Thursday

Remember Banksy?  He's that kooky English graffiti artist who's political and social commentary has turned up on bridges, walls, and all sorts of other interesting places all over the globe.  I had the pleasure of watching his 2010 film, Exit Through The Gift Shop, which premiered at the 2010 Sundance Film Festival and was subsequently nominated for an Academy Award for Best Documentary.  Great stuff, if you ever get a chance to watch it.  He's a peculiar creature, that Banksy,  but he certainly feels like he has a lot to say.

Well he is at it again, this time with a truck full of puppets.  Yes, puppets.  Making a comment on the plight of the farm animal...one can assume that specifically he is addressing factory farming...he has put together his latest installation, a moving tribute to farm animals everywhere (with a dog, and a bear or two thrown in for good measure).  Here is a YouTube clip of his meat truck, cruising the streets of The Meatpacking District in New York City...



So, out of all the 'shutdown' stories on the web this morning, why did I choose to share this one, of little or no significance, really.  To make a long story short, it took my back to my Freshman year in college, when I first encountered the topic of factory farming and the idea that as a society, we have gotten so big that we've lost touch with the source of our food.  I actually presented a paper back then on the AWFUL treatment of animals in most parts of the agricultural industry, and it really affected me.  I stopped eating beef (for some reason I've had an affinity for cows for most of my life) from the time I was 18 until I was pregnant with Riley at age 25.  To this day, I still won't touch veal, and I'll be happy to give you a hard time about it if you're sitting next to me eating it.

Something has happened to the way animals are treated in modern meat production that is a disgrace to the human spirit, and a violation of the ancient human-animal bond...

The process of rearing farm animals in the US has changed dramatically from the family farms of yesteryear. This reality, coupled with the exemption of farm animals from laws that forbid cruelty to animals, has produced a heartbreaking situation. More animals are subjected to more tortuous conditions in the US today than has ever occurred anywhere in world history.

Aside from the health consequences from eating the products of a 'factory farm', it is, for the most part, just plain inhumane.  So with that, I was happy to give Banksy his five minutes on my blog to let the world (or at least my five followers) know that the way we produce and consume meat in this country and for that matter all over the world, is not okay.

*steps down off of soapbox*

I know...that was depressing.  Sorry.  Just got a bee in my bonnet when I saw the video clip and it took off from there.  PS. For more info about factory farming and what you can do to change the way you eat, start with a trip to http://www.farmforward.com/.  Eye-opening, I tell ya.


So what's next this morning???

How about the finalists for the 2013 National Book Awards?  The finalists were announced yesterday, and the winners will be announced on November 20th.  What amazes my simple pea-brain mind is the fact that somehow the National Book Foundation can get through all of the fantastic Fiction, Non-Fiction, Poetry, and Young People's Literature for the year, to come up with such a short list of finalists.

Books from that list that I will add to my reading list (or Keira's -- the boys just don't read) include, but are not limited to:


I. Book Of Ages

The Life And Opinions Of Jane Franklin

by Jill LePore

Book of Ages








Summary
American History professor Jill Lepore delivers a revealing portrait of Benjamin Franklin's youngest sister, Jane, who spent much of her life cooking, cleaning and raising children. Despite obscurity and poverty, Jane shared a lot of her brother's talents: She was a passionate reader, a gifted writer and a shrewd political commentator.






II. Tenth Of December
by George Saunders

Tenth of December




Summary
This collection of fantastical stories includes "Home," a wryly whimsical account of a soldier's return from war; "Victory Lap," a tale about an inventive abduction attempt; and the title story, in which a suicidal cancer patient saves the life of a young misfit.

Now if I could just find six hours a day with which to sit and read :)


No comments: